A few weeks back we hit Pacific Science Center in Seattle for not only their standing exhibits but to catch Pompeii: The Exhibition. The last time I had visited was for King Tut, and I suppose I was not that surprised to find that Pompeii followed the same format, in the same space, with the same inherent limitations. It was too crowded, and catered for the lowest common denominator of museum goer.
On the upside I was able to grab some snapshots of the artifacts on display. I had less luck catching the placards that described each piece.
These were shot on a Nikon V1 set to Program, and thanks for visiting.
We had some very nice weather yesterday. It was also the first day after the girl and the toddler put out some bird feeders. The top photo was taken through a window screen and the lower from outside. Each was shot using the same Nikon D50 with a 300mm Nikor lens within minutes of each other. Except for resizing, they are unedited.
Above is a Dark Eyed Junco and below a Spotted Towhee, if I’m to believe Kavanagh, James. Washington State Birds, an introduction to Familiar Species: Waterford Press, Inc., 2000. Print, or at least an illustrator by the name of Raymond Leung.
A few weeks back I got this notion to build and shoot some dioramas. Inspired no doubt by the toddler lifestyle my household has been living for many months. Stories are an important part of that lifestyle, and imagery is an important part of those stories.
This weekend I had a little extra time to experiment. The image above is getting much closer to what I’ve got stuck in my head. Not quite there, but closer.
It didn’t occur to me until I started taking pictures that I was going to have to think about depth of field more than I wanted to.
I got creative one day and started building dioramas because I wanted to take some photographs. I was unhappy though with the depth of fields my regular cameras were capable of. I was happiest with the photos I took on my phone. You can see the difference in the previous post, and here.
My phone’s camera isn’t bad, but I want to shoot these dioramas on film.
The solution it seems is a range finder, in this case a Konica Auto S. It has a bright 1.9 lens and can focus just within a meter of the subject.
I didn’t have a lot of luck with the first two rolls of film I ran through it to see how it would really work. The first fed wrong and fooled me into processing unused, and the second was mostly under exposed. I think it’s worth another test roll, a tripod, and a little extra time to verify metering.